A recent Microsoft update is now causing the following error to occur: "Microsoft Office has identified a potential security concern. This document contains fields that can share data with external files and websites. It is important that this file is from a trustworthy source. Choosing Yes will enable updating all fields in this file, until you close it."
If you click Yes, the add-in generates the PDF like normal, but this is an inconvenience as it must be done for each email being converted.
To prevent this problem, it is necessary to add the folder that Sperry Software uses to store temporary files (which is %AppData%\Local\SperrySoftware). To do this, follow these instructions:
- Exit Outlook
- Start Word
- In Word, go to File...Options
- Click on Trust Center
- Click on Trust Center Settings
- Click on Trusted Locations
- Click on Add New Location
- Navigate to ...\AppData\Local\, find the SperrySoftware folder and add it, being sure to check the box to trust sub-folders of this folder:
After the new location is added, click Ok and exit Word. Restart Outlook and the security prompt should no longer occur. If you continue to have trouble, please enter a bug report.
Update [2019-05-09]: New versions of several add-ins have been updated on the website that eliminates the above steps. To update, follow these instructions:
- Exit Outlook
- Uninstall the add-in via Control Panel...Programs and Features...Uninstall a Program (and take note of the product name after the "Sperry Software - " text)
- Download then run the Uninstall Add-Ins tool
- Navigate to https://www.sperrysoftware.com/Email-Tools/category/downloads/
- That link has all the products in alphabetical order, so look for your add-in
- Download it
- Install it
- Restart Outlook
[Note to system administrators and IT Pros: Behind the scenes these new versions automate the above steps. After installing the add-in and starting Outlook for the first time, you could start Word and go to the list of Trusted Locations in Word, and you will see the Sperry Software trusted folder location (which is %AppData\Local\SperrySoftware). The add-in performs the same steps for Excel and Powerpoint, if present on the machine. Note that the trusted location is not automatically removed when uninstalling normally, but can be if a clean reinstall is performed.]
Again, if you have trouble with it, please enter a bug report.